YouTube passed 100 million Music and Premium subscribers02 February 2024 - Press release
THANK YOU FOR 100 MILLION.
Today – thanks to your partnership – we're celebrating: YouTube passed 100 million Music and Premium subscribers, including trials (as of January '24). This 20-million-member growth in just over a year underscores the strength of our twin engine of advertising and subscriptions revenue. YouTube Premium's global expansion continues, now thriving in over 100 countries and regions with more on the horizon in 2024.
In 2015, many doubted a subscription model could thrive on YouTube. They said the market was crowded and our platform was too different. Today – 100 million subscribers later – our distinctiveness is precisely what drives our success and why I still see so much room for growth:
- YouTube Premium is in its own lane: Offering unparalleled value across YouTube AND YouTube Music, fans can enjoy ad-free access to both apps, and play videos in the background or download them. Plus, they get exclusive access to afterparties, where artists like Niall Horan and Jennifer Lopez engage with fans directly after their music video Premieres. YouTube Premium is the only service where social engagement, music streaming, and all video formats converge seamlessly – all without interruption.
- Reimagining streaming with YouTube Music: The YouTube Music app has become unrecognizable from its first launch, now seamlessly integrating music streaming with long-form video and short-form video. Connecting these experiences and innovating new ones (like the ones below) are critical in making YouTube the best place to be a music fan:
- Samples is about lightning-fast discovery. Swipe vertically and then boom – new jams. You can add the songs to playlists, share them with friends, kick off a new radio station, or even use the song to create your own Short.
- Radio Builder lets you craft the perfect radio station by picking artists, moods, and whether you want to hear familiar favorites or deep cuts.
- Generative AI playlist covers allow you to create one-of-a-kind cover art that expresses the uniqueness of your playlists.
- Comments in YouTube Music allow users to engage in the same conversations happening on YouTube and keep music fans connected across the entire ecosystem.
- Early access to AI innovations: Premium members get an early look at some of the most exciting features coming to YouTube, like a new conversational tool that uses AI to help viewers ask questions about the video they're watching or request actions like "recommend related content," all without interrupting playback. Premium members were also among the first to try a generative AI feature that organizes and summarizes topics in large comment sections, giving viewers an easier way to catch up on the conversations happening in a video. For artists, this will help them see what their fans are digging and what they aren't.
The music industry is at a critical juncture. Together, we can harness technological innovation to drive unprecedented value for artists and fans, building on our momentum that contributed $6 billion to the music industry in 12 months. From leveraging AI to enhance creative imagination, to seamlessly bridging short-form and long-form content for maximum artist exposure, we can forge a sustainable future together where the music industry thrives.
With love and respect,
Global Head of Music, YouTube