PPL seeks a Broadcast Licensing Executive
|Position||PPL seeks a Broadcast Licensing Executive|
12 Months, Fixed Term Contract - Full Time
This is a fixed term contract position for a Broadcast Licensing Executive. This role supports PPL’s Broadcast Licensing team in licensing radio, TV and online broadcasters in order to improve market penetration and maximise revenues.
Founded in 1934, PPL is the UK music industry’s collective management organisation (CMO) for over 100,000 performers and record companies. We license recorded music in the UK when it is played in public (shops, bars, nightclubs, offices etc.) or broadcast (BBC, commercial radio, commercial TV etc.) and ensure that revenue flows back to our members. These include both independent and major record companies, together with performers ranging from emerging grassroots artists through to established session musicians and influential festival headliners.
We also collect performance rights internationally when music is played in public and used on TV, radio and some online streaming services, as well as for private copying. This is achieved through our network of 92 agreements with CMOs around the world. International revenues are an increasingly important revenue stream for performers and recording rightsholders – since 2006 we have collected £429 million.
In 2018 we collected £246.8 million while also distributing money to 105,192 performers and recording rightsholders.
This is a customer facing, commercial role that involves issuing licences, dealing with queries and providing research and analysis to support PPL’s/VPL’s licensing activities. The role also involves managing relationships with a wide variety of radio, TV and online services, ensuring that licensing schemes are run smoothly and effectively.
PPL’s Broadcast Licensing team is responsible for licensing TV and radio broadcasters to play recorded music as part of their programming. The team works with a wide range of broadcasters including the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Five and Sky as well as commercial radio networks such as Capital, Heart and Absolute Radio.
The team also develops PPL’s tariffs by ensuring that they are fit for purpose in a world where the way businesses use music is constantly changing and that they strike a balance between a fair return for our members and a fair fee for users.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (in particular, Excel)
- Proven record of delivering results/exceeding targets or KPIs
- Minimum two years’ experience in a fast-paced, client-facing office or administrative role
- Target-driven with the ability to prioritise and re-prioritise according to team and wider business needs
- Exceptional attention to detail, in both text and numbers
- Knowledge of and interest in the music and media industries
- Experienced in delivering objectives within specified timeframes
- A persuasive nature with the ability to influence others to see and agree with a point of view
Duties and responsibilities
- Managing relationships with a wide portfolio of radio, TV and online services, ensuring that licensing schemes are run smoothly and effectively
- Proactively identifying and contacting unlicensed broadcasters to ensure that they obtain the appropriate licence(s)
- Ensuring efficient administration of licensing activities by updating spreadsheets and maintaining databases
- Developing and negotiating bespoke agreements and settlements with licensees within agreed parameters
- Responding to phone and e-mail enquiries regarding PPL licensing requirements for a wide variety of broadcast services
PPL employees have access to a wide range of benefits and discounts including a non-contractual bonus scheme and a comprehensive training and development scheme.
Equality and diversity at PPL
At PPL, we are committed to ensuring that:
- our employees are engaged;
- we hire, develops and promotes the best people; and
- our talent pool is as wide as possible.
We take equality and diversity seriously, intertwined with our people strategy, so that we can continue to develop and maintain a working culture that is fair and considerate to all.
Please submit a CV and covering letter which answers the following question:
What has motivated you to apply for this role?
Unfortunately, due to the high number of applications received for every role at PPL we are only able to contact candidates we would like to progress to interview stage.
Jobs Offered Adverts
Job offered adverts cost £135 for five days on our daily email or £195 for nine days, per position. We run a line on the daily email, with a link to the website, where anyone can read the posting. The post stays up until the position is filled. We also tweet the position to our 26,000 followers a couple of times. You can have any amount of text, please remember to include a closing date. Contact Paul .
Job Wanted Adverts
Job wanted adverts are free for a two month posting. Send copy here (firstname.lastname@example.org)