Rajar press release from Global 28 Oct 2021
GLOBAL SURGES FORWARD AS THE UK’S NUMBER ONE COMMERCIAL RADIO COMPANY WITH ITS BEST-EVER AUDIENCE RESULTS
GLOBAL CONTINUES TO LEAD THE UK COMMERCIAL RADIO MARKET GROWING ITS AUDIENCE TO A RECORD-BREAKING 25.7m WEEKLY LISTENERS AND ITS SHARE TO 23.5%
GLOBAL HAS THE TOP FOUR COMMERCIAL RADIO BRANDS IN THE UK
HEART, CAPITAL, SMOOTH AND CLASSIC FM
HEART SCORES ITS BIGGEST EVER AUDIENCE OF 10m BREAKING A NEW RECORD
HEART IS UK’S TOP COMMERCIAL RADIO BRAND ADDING A MASSIVE 662,000 NEW LISTENERS
HEART BREAKFAST IS THE BIGGEST COMMERCIAL RADIO SHOW IN THE UK WITH 4.1m LISTENERS
LBC CELEBRATES AN ALL-TIME RECORD 3m WEEKLY LISTENERS
ITS HIGHEST EVER
LBC HOURS AND SHARE HIGHEST IN ITS 48-YEAR HISTORY
NICK FERRARI, JAMES O’BRIEN, SHELAGH FOGARTY AND EDDIE MAIR ALL CELEBRATE RECORD-BREAKING AUDIENCE FIGURES
LBC NEWS – BRITAIN’S FIRST NATIONAL ROLLING NEWS RADIO STATION NOW REACHES 806,000 LISTENERS ALONE
CAPITAL IS ONCE AGAIN THE UK’S NO.1 HIT MUSIC BRAND GROWING ITS REACH TO 7.6m WEEKLY LISTENERS
SMOOTH CELEBRATES ITS HIGHEST EVER AUDIENCE
5.9m WEEKLY LISTENERS
KATE GARRAWAY HAS RECORD-BREAKING 2.5m LISTENERS
RADIO X CELEBRATES ALL-TIME HIGH
ADDING ALMOST 300,000
THE CHRIS MOYLES SHOW ON RADIO X SCORES A RECORD HIGH WITH 1.1M LISTENERS ADDING 120,000 NEW LISTENERS IN THE LAST 18 MONTHS
CLASSIC FM CELEBRATES A 14-YEAR HIGH FOR HOURS AND SHARE
NOW REACHING 5.1m WEEKLY LISTENERS
THE OFFICIAL BIG TOP 40
OFFICIALLY REMAINS THE UK’S BIGGEST CHART SHOW
GROWING ITS AUDIENCE TO 1.5m LISTENERS
NATIONALLY AT BREAKFAST…
HAS THE TOP 2 COMMERCIAL NATIONAL BREAKFAST SHOWS IN THE UK
HEART BREAKFAST – 4.1M
CAPITAL BREAKFAST – 2.8M
HEART BREAKFAST WITH JAMIE THEAKSTON & AMANDA HOLDEN IS THE BIGGEST COMMERCIAL BREAKFAST SHOW IN THE UK WITH A MASSIVE 4.1m WEEKLY LISTENERS
CAPITAL BREAKFAST WITH ROMAN KEMP REACHES A MASSIVE 2.8m LISTENERS
RADIO X’S CHRIS MOYLES GROWS HIS BREAKFAST AUDIENCE TO A RECORD-BREAKING 1.1m WEEKLY LISTENERS
LBC BREAKFAST WITH NICK FERRARI ACHIEVES A RECORD 1.4m WEEKLY LISTENERS
GLOBAL HAS THE #1 & #2 COMMERCIAL STATIONS IN LONDON FOR REACH, HOURS AND SHARE
LBC REMAINS THE NO.1 COMMERCIAL RADIO STATION IN LONDON FOR SHARE & HOURS WITH AN 8.1% SHARE OF THE MARKET AND AN INCREDIBLE 17m HOURS
HEART IS LONDON’S UNDISPUTED NO.1 COMMERCIAL RADIO STATION 1.9m WEEKLY LISTENERS
ADDING A MASSIVE 500,000
SMOOTH HITS A NEW RECORD IN LONDON INCREASING ITS AUDIENCE BY ALMOST A THIRD
NOW REACHES MORE THAN 1 MILLION LISTENERS IN LONDON ALONE
GLOBAL HAS THE #1 & #2 COMMERCIAL BREAKFAST SHOWS IN LONDON FOR REACH, HOURS AND SHARE
LBC’s NICK FERRARI AT BREAKFAST
WINS COMMERCIAL REACH, HOURS AND SHARE
NICK CELEBRATES HIGHEST EVER REACH WITH 837,000 WEEKLY LISTENERS IN LONDON
HEART BREAKFAST WITH JAMIE THEAKSTON & AMANDA HOLDEN IS LONDON’S BIGGEST COMMERCIAL MUSIC BREAKFAST SHOW
- Global grows its audience with its radio brands now reaching a massive 25.7 million people every week through radio alone, with hours up 5% vs. Q1 2020 at 236 million hours, and taking a 23.5% market share.
- Global has the top four commercial radio brands in the UK for reach, hours and share in the UK with Heart, Capital, Smooth and Classic FM.
- Heart scores an all-time audience high, extending its reign as the UK’s biggest commercial radio brand with over 10m people tuning in every week, adding 662,000 new listeners.
- Heart Breakfast with Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden has a massive 4.1 million weekly listeners and remains the UK’s biggest commercial breakfast show. Heart Breakfast is also London’s biggest commercial music breakfast show with 734,000 listeners.
- Digital station Heart 80s adds a massive 244,000 listeners reaching 1.5m weekly listeners. Heart 70s grows its audience to reach over 300,000 listeners.
- Heart Dance hits an audience all-time high with 464,000 listeners growing 84,000 listeners.
- LBC remains the no.1 commercial radio station for share and hours with 16.6 million hours an 8.1% share of the market.
- In the competitive commercial London market Heart takes the top spot for reach on 1.9m (up 38%) just pipping Capital on 1.8m (up 10.5%).
- Heart gains over 530,000 new listeners in London and grows in reach, hours and share.
- As the voice of the nation throughout the pandemic, more people are tuning into LBC – and for longer – than ever before, as the station celebrates its highest ever reach, hours and share.
- LBC now reaches a record 3.1 million listeners across the UK each week – the highest in its 48-year history – and an increase of 271,000 people in the past 18 months.
- In its second set of RAJAR results, LBC News – Britain’s first national rolling news radio station – reaches 806,000 weekly listeners.
- Nationally, LBC’s Nick Ferrari at Breakfast, James O’Brien, Shelagh Fogarty and Eddie Mair all achieve record-breaking audience figures. Nick Ferrari and James O’Brien reach 1.4 million and 1.3 million weekly listeners respectively.
- In London, LBC is the no.1 commercial station for hours and share, with a massive 16.6 million hours and an 8.1% share of the market.
- Nick Ferrari at Breakfast is London’s number one commercial breakfast show for reach, hours and share, with 837,000 listeners tuning in each week.
- Capital remains the UK’s No.1 Hit Music brand with 7.6m weekly listeners, nearly 3m listeners ahead of the Kiss brand nationally.
- In London, Capital grows its reach to 1.8m weekly listeners, also beating Radio 1.
- Capital Breakfast with Roman Kemp reaches a massive 2.8m weekly listeners. Capital Breakfast - which was voted the best show on UK radio by the public last month at the TRIC Awards, with Roman Kemp also named the nation’s favourite radio personality – is the UK’s second biggest commercial breakfast show, second only to Heart Breakfast with Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden on Capital’s sister station.
- Capital XTRA continues its reign as the home of RnB and Hip-Hop in the UK, now reaching 1.7m people across the UK every week
- Capital XTRA Breakfast with Yinka and Shayna Marie reaches 581,000 weekly listeners.
- Capital Dance, the UK’s official dance station which launched in October 2020 with MistaJam at the helm and Rio Fredrika at breakfast, opens with 287,000 listeners tuning in every week.
- Smooth confirms its position as the UK’s third largest commercial radio brand with a record-breaking 5.9 million people tuning in each week.
- The Smooth Radio network adds 712,000 listeners in the past 18 months, reaching 5.5 million weekly listeners.
- Smooth’s Kate Garraway celebrates a record-breaking 2.5 million listeners to her weekday mid-morning show.
- Celebrating a 14-year high in hours and share, Classic FM confirms its position as the UK’s most popular classical music station, with 5.1 million listeners each week, tuning in for a total of 44 million hours.
- Alexander Armstrong’s morning programme reaches 2.4 million people every week.
- Radio X celebrates an all-time high, adding a massive 289,000 new listeners to reach 1.9m people and growing in reach, hours and share - its largest ever audience.
- The Chris Moyles Show on Radio X also hits an all-time high of 1.1m listeners for the first time, adding 120,000 new listeners in the 18 months, growing in reach, hours and share and leapfrogging Virgin Radio.
- At drive, Johnny Vaughan also smashes a new record with 854,000 listeners.
- In London, Radio X increases its reach to 559,000 listeners and grows in reach, hours and share.
- Gold reaches an audience of more than 1.3 million listeners every week.
THE OFFICIAL BIG TOP 40
- The Official Big Top 40 officially remains the UK’s biggest chart show growing its audience to 1.5m listeners and ahead of the Radio 1 chart.
Ashley Tabor-King OBE, Founder & Executive President of Global, said: “Post pandemic, it’s fantastic to have RAJAR back with a bang. I’m delighted that Global, in some of the most challenging times ever, has scored record audience numbers, both overall and also for many of our individual brands and shows. It’s truly humbling and a testament to the hard work of every Globaller who has strived to keep our audiences informed and entertained with the best music and highest quality news and analysis. We not only continue to lead the commercial radio market, but have extended our lead with 25.7 million weekly listeners. To play this role in these times in an honour.”
James Rea, Director of Broadcasting & Content at Global, said: “Nothing beats the connection radio brings and it is fantastic to see its popularity continuing to grow. I’m immensely proud that so much of that increased listening is driven by the great work of our teams in growing Global’s brands. I’m delighted to see so many of our brands achieving record results – from Heart breaking through 10million, LBC truly Leading Britain’s Conversation and going over 3 million for the first time in its long and illustrious history to Chris Moyles smashing though 1 million and Kate Garraway seeing over 2.5 million tuning in over on Smooth.”
NEWS & PRESS
TION WAYNE X RUSS MILLIONS’ ALL-STAR ‘BODY 2’ IS #1 SEE THE FULL TOP 10 HERE YouTube Music today reveals the UK’s Top Music Videos of 2021. Again underlining YouTube Music’s huge influence on pop culture, the list compiles the ten official music videos that received the...more
UK’s official music showcase expands into Cedar Street Courtyard for return to live music at SXSW Music Festival, March 14-20 2021 The British Music Embassy, SXSW’s destination for breakout UK music stars, today announces its live return to the festival with...more
If 2020 was the year that flipped the world on its head, 2021 was the year that we got used to seeing things upside down. With "normal" thrown out the window, we embraced the unknown and championed all of the things...more
After a successful inaugural year, The Sound of the Year Awards return. A celebration of everyday sound in all its forms, the awards are presented by The Museum of Sound in partnership with The New BBC Radiophonic Workshop and others....more
This year's global campaign will feature artists and podcasters including Spotify's top artist of the year Bad Bunny as well as Olivia Rodrigo, in the UK we will see Ed Sheeran, Dave, Arlo Parks, Ghetts and fan-favorite podcast Who We Be TALKS_. The campaign will run...more
IMS IBIZA SUMMIT 'IN PURSUIT OF PURPOSE'HOSTED BY PETE TONG & JAGUAR ANNOUNCES A "NO PANEL POLICY!"APRIL 27th - 29th 2022DESTINO PACHA IBIZA RESORTBADGES ON SALE NOW Purchase delegate badges hereIn Association with shesaid.soIn Partnership with Pioneer DJSupported by Skiddle & Ultra Music International Music Summit (IMS Ibiza Summit),...more
Chrysalis Records today announced the appointment of veteran music industry executive Alison Wenham as Chief Operating Officer, further positioning the company as a leader and powerhouse in independent music. With over 40 years of experience working in the music industry,...more
Enter Shikari, Becky Hill, Bastille, Feeder, Kojey Radical, Maisie Peters, The Coral to perform special shows at grassroots music venues Tickets go on sale Friday December 3rd, 2021 at 10am from Ticketweb Full line up available from HERE Music Venue Trust (MVT), which represents hundreds of...more
Shortlist announced as: Bree RunwayHolly HumberstoneLola Young Winner to be announced Friday 10th December The BRIT Awards with Mastercard 2022 Tuesday 8th February – at the The O2 arena on ITV and ITV Hub The BRIT Awards 2022 with Mastercard have today announced the...more
With the current combined challenges of Brexit and Covid, the outlook for European artists wanting to tour internationally often feels bleak, so it’s heart-warming to be reminded of an initiative that promises to improve live prospects for emerging artists. The European Talent...more
Leila Oliveira has been promoted to become General Manager of Warner Music Brazil. In her new role, Oliveira will have oversight of the company’s A&R, marketing and business development functions, and will report to Sergio Affonso, President, Warner Music Brazil. Oliveira has...more
The Featured Artists Coalition is delighted to announce that applications for the FAC Step Up Fund supported by Amazon Music are now officially open. Artists or their managers/team members can apply via our website. The FAC Step Up Fund will provide financial...more
Baby Shark: Collection No. 1 is set to drop on December 2 at 3:30PM PT Featuring Iconic Music and Characters From ‘Baby Shark Dance’, The World’s Most Viewed YouTube Video Full Collection Now Available for Preview on MakersPlace SmartStudy, the creator of the global phenomenon Baby...more
Caldecott Music Group introduced as new company brand of BandLab Technologies, NME Networks, and Vista Musical Instruments
With a history of growing a broad range of music-focused businesses, BandLab Technologies announces an organisational transformation with the introduction of new company brand, Caldecott Music Group (CMG). CMG will oversee the long-term planning, investment, and development of three newly-formed...more
Three year sales and distribution deal covers UK & ROILimited-edition, independent store exclusive vinyl due out 3rd DecemberCompilation includes tracks from Amy Macdonald, IDLES and Frank Turner The UK’s leading physical distributor, Proper Music Group, has signed a three year sales...more
Tuned Global technology to power West African streaming service WAW MUZIK Partners with Côte d’Ivoire major artists and Orange to deliver affordable and sustainable access to music streaming Deal to further reinforce Tuned Global’s influence across Pan-African markets Tuned Global, the world’s leading...more
Global music company BMG has announced that it has acquired the entire recorded catalog of Mötley Crüe. The deal is BMG's largest single catalog acquisition since the company was founded in 2008. The agreement includes the iconic band's entire recorded output spanning...more
ITV - SATURDAY 18TH DECEMBER 2021 HOSTED BY CLARA AMFO & MAYA JAMA BRITs 2022 NOMINATIONS TO BE EXCLUSIVELY ANNOUNCED IN PRIMETIME ITV SLOT PERFORMANCES FROM ANNE-MARIE, JOEL CORRY & MABEL, GLASS ANIMALS & MIMI WEBB The BRIT Awards 2022 with Mastercard today announce...more
Phebe Hunnicutt has been appointed to the newly created role of SVP, Warner Recorded Music. Reporting to Simon Robson, President, International, Warner Recorded Music, Hunnicutt will help drive the continued evolution and innovation of Warner Music internationally, to stay ahead...more
Charlotte Birch and Nathan Liddle-Hulme Appointed Joint Heads of UK Marketing AWAL, the global artist services company, has announced two senior promotions within its UK marketing department. Following the recent elevation of former VP of Marketing Aaron Bogucki to Global Head of...more
LIVE AND DIRECT FROM THE O2, WEDNESDAY 1ST DECEMBER @ 21.00 GMT LINK TO STREAM Wizkid, the Grammy Award-winning global sensation, will be livestreaming his sold out 'Made In Lagos Tour' from The O2, exclusively globally on YouTube on Wednesday 1st December. To...more
Following the announcement today of additional measures being required in indoor settings in response to cases of the new variant being reported within the UK. Michael Kill CEO NTIA says“The reported detection of the new variant in the UK is hugely...more
Lea Pisacane Retires After 34 Years with Atlantic Phil Kaso has been promoted to Senior Vice President of Rock Promotion for Atlantic Records/Elektra Music Group. In his new post, Kaso – who was most recently Vice President of Rock Promotion for...more
Amazon Music, Amazon's digital music streaming service, and the Featured Artists Coalition (FAC), the UK artist trade body, are delighted to announce the FAC Step Up Fund supported by Amazon Music. The FAC Step Up Fund will provide financial support and a broader...more
Swedish streaming service for concert video, Staccs, makes a sweep of strategic hires and launches Staccs Originals
Swedish tech startup, Staccs - a premium streaming service for concert video and music documentaries - has revealed key hires to its executive structure and announced the launch of Staccs Originals - a production suite creating exclusive and original content...more
Reef will release new LP, Shoot Me Your Ace, on April 15. Title track out now Absolute Label Services has signed a services deal with Reef for the British rock band's next album. Under the new deal, Absolute will provide a range...more
Hannah Joseph and Horace Trubridge elected as Performer Directors at PPL Annual Performer Meeting 2021
Today at the PPL Annual Performer Meeting (APM), it was announced that PPL-registered performers have elected Decibelle Management founder Hannah Joseph as a Performer Director and have also re-elected Musicians’ Union General Secretary Horace Trubridge as a Performer Director. Both will sit...more
Independent and major record labels association the BPI today announces Stefania Passamonte as a newly elected member on BPI Council representing independent labels and the re-election of Alice Dyson. Stefania (Director Master Chord Records, Founder London Performing Academy of Music, and musician) said: "I am delighted and honoured to...more
London based independent music company Distiller Music Group has announced a number of staff changes within its UK team. Distiller Music Group has interests across a number of industry sectors including Distiller Records, Distiller Publishing and Distiller Live and produces the...more
Music Leadersâ€™ Drive To Tackle Racism And Boost Inclusion Wins Backing From Football Legend And Diversity Champion Rio Ferdinand
UK Music and UK Music’s Diversity Taskforce is calling for greater transparency in the battle to boost diversity and inclusion across the music business and creative industries. The call came as the collective voice for the music industry and its Diversity...more
What do we mean by fairness in music? (see Opinion)
Spotify's plan to become the "Instagram and TikTok of audio" (see Digital)
BRITs Rising Star: shortlist announced (see News)
Kill the bill that would stifle UK music investment, says Tony Wadsworth (see Opinion)
StubHub accused of failing to disclose when customers buy tickets from professional touts (see News)
"Hipgnosis chief sounds off-key" (see Analysis)
Support, rejection and summary of the proposed Copyright Bill (see News)
Is the music industry’s future on the blockchain? (see Comment)
State of play: The UK majors (see Features)
Copyright Bill: AIM asks members to 'take action to prevent proposed changes to the law' (see News)
Reaction to the non-gendered BRIT Awards (see News, Features)
BRIT Awards 2022 to remove gendered categories (see News, Opinion, Showbiz)
Spotify takes shuffle as default off album pages (see Digital)
Four Tet in dispute with Domino (see News)
The NFT Bay links 'all NFTs' on Ethereum and Solana blockchains (see Bigger Picture)
Lyrics now available to all Spotify users (see Digital)
Artist & Manager Awards - winners announced (see News)
Catalogues: David Bowie to Warner?; Sting to Universal?; Lindsay Buckingham to Downtown (see Deals)
Global value of music copyright up 2.7% in 2020 (see Analysis)
Warner Music launches WMX services division for artists, labels and brands (see Business)