RAJAR Q1 2019 results - Global leads market with top 4 commercial stations16 May 2019 - Press release
GLOBAL CONTINUES TO LEAD THE UK COMMERCIAL RADIO MARKET WITH 25.2M WEEKLY LISTENERS
GLOBAL LEADS THE PACK WITH THE TOP FOUR COMMERCIAL RADIO BRANDS IN THE UK - HEART, CAPITAL, SMOOTH & CLASSIC FM
HEART IS THE UK’S BIGGEST COMMERCIAL RADIO BRAND WITH 9.7m WEEKLY LISTENERS, GROWING REACH, HOURS & SHARE. HEART IS STILL BIGGER THAN RADIO 1
HEART 80s ACHIEVES A RECORD HIGH GROWING ITS AUDIENCE TO 1.4m WEEKLY LISTENERS, ADDING 110,000 LISTENERS IN THE PAST THREE MONTHS ALONE
CAPITAL IS ONCE AGAIN THE UK’S NO.1 HIT MUSIC BRAND WITH 8.2m WEEKLY LISTENERS
SMOOTH ACHIEVES 5.7m WEEKLY LISTENERS, GROWING ITS REACH, HOURS & SHARE
LBC CELEBRATES ITS HIGHEST EVER REACH IN ITS 47-YEAR HISTORY, CONTINUING TO LEAD BRITAIN’S CONVERSATION WITH MORE THAN 2.3m WEEKLY LISTENERS
NICK FERRARI AT BREAKFAST ACHIEVES A RECORD HIGH 1.3m WEEKLY LISTENERS ACROSS THE UK
CLASSIC FM IS THE NATION’S FAVOURITE CLASSICAL MUSIC STATION WITH 5.3m WEEKLY LISTENERS
CAPITAL XTRA REACHES 1.8m WEEKLY LISTENERS, ADDING MORE THAN 100,000 LISTENERS IN THE PAST YEAR
RADIO X NOW REACHES 1.5m LISTENERS EACH WEEK
THE OFFICIAL BIG TOP 40 IS THE UK’S BIGGEST CHART SHOW WITH 1.5m WEEKLY LISTENERS
CAPITAL REMAINS LONDON’S NO.1 COMMERCIAL RADIO STATION FOR REACH WITH 1.8m WEEKLY LISTENERS
LBC REMAINS LONDON’S NO.1 COMMERCIAL RADIO STATION FOR SHARE WITH A 5.7% SHARE OF THE MARKET
GLOBAL WINS COMMERCIAL REACH AND SHARE AT BREAKFAST IN LONDON
CAPITAL BREAKFAST WITH ROMAN KEMP IS ONCE AGAIN THE NO.1 COMMERCIAL BREAKFAST SHOW IN LONDON FOR REACH, GROWING ITS AUDIENCE TO 972,000 LISTENERS & BEATING BOTH RADIO 1 AND KISS IN REACH
LBC’S NICK FERRARI AT BREAKFAST IS AGAIN LONDON’S BIGGEST COMMERCIAL BREAKFAST SHOW FOR HOURS AND SHARE, GROWING IN REACH BY 65,000 TO 724,000 LISTENERS IN LONDON
HEART LONDON DRIVE WITH JK AND KELLY BROOK HAS A MASSIVE 587,000 PEOPLE TUNING IN EACH WEEK, INCREASES LISTENERS BY 68,000 YEAR-ON-YEAR
CAPITAL LONDON DRIVE WITH ANT PAYNE HAS A MASSIVE 697,000 PEOPLE TUNING IN EACH WEEK, INCREASES LISTENERS BY 5,000 QUARTER-ON-QUARTER
- Global brands reach a massive 25.2 million people every week through radio alone, with hours at 233 million, taking a 23.1% market share.
- Global has the top four commercial radio brands in the UK with Heart, Capital, Smooth and Classic FM.
- Heart continues its reign as the UK’s biggest commercial radio brand with 9.7m people tuning in every week, adding 150,000 listeners in the past year and beating Radio 1 in reach once again.
- Heart 80s achieves a record high, growing in reach, hours and share and adding a massive 110,000 listeners in the past three months alone.
- JK and Kelly Brook’s new Heart London Drivetime show gains 68,000 listeners in the past year - an increase of 13% - achieving a weekly audience of 587,000.
- Capital is once again the UK’s no.1 hit music brand with 8.2m weekly listeners.
- Capital wins commercial reach in London with 1.8m weekly listeners.
- Capital Breakfast with Roman Kemp retains its crown as London’s no.1 commercial breakfast show with 972,000 listeners - beating Radio 1 and Kiss in reach.
- LBC has achieved its highest ever reach in its 47-year history with 2.3 million weekly listeners tuning in – an increase of 90,000 listeners in the past year.
- LBC’s Nick Ferrari at Breakfast grows his audience to his highest ever – smashing a new record in reach with a massive 1.3m listeners now tuning in across the UK. In reach and hours, Nick Ferrari has grown both quarter-on-quarter and year-on-year.
- In London, LBC is the no. 1 commercial station in London for hours and share and Nick Ferrari is once again the no.1 commercial breakfast show in hours and share.
- Eddie Mair adds over 90,000 listeners to the Drivetime slot year-on-year, achieving a weekly audience of 757,000.
- The Smooth brand reaches 5.7 million people, adding 214,000 listeners in the past year alone.
- Smooth Extra grows reach year-on-year and quarter-on-quarter, now reaching 962,000 listeners.
- Classic FM remains the UK’s most popular classical music station with 5.3m listeners every week, increasing hours and share both year-on-year and quarter-on-quarter.
- Classic FM Breakfast has increased reach, hours and share across the UK, adding over 100,000 listeners in the past year.
- Capital XTRA adds 100,000 listeners in the past year with 1.8 million people tuning in every week.
- Capital XTRA’s Jez Welham adds a massive 150,000 listeners at Breakfast across the UK, growing in reach to 750,000 listeners year-on-year.
- Radio X now reaches 1.5 million people each week.
- Chris Moyles adds 60,000 listeners in the past year, with 930,000 listeners tuning in at Breakfast.
THE OFFICIAL BIG TOP 40
- The Official Big Top 40 remains the biggest UK chart show with 1.5m weekly listeners, beating its nearest competitor by 153,000 listeners.
- Gold grows in reach and hours on the year, reaching an audience of 1.2m listeners every week.
Ashley Tabor OBE, Founder & Executive President of Global, said: “I’m immensely proud to see a really strong card for Global again as we now achieve the top four commercial radio brands across the UK with Heart, Capital, Smooth and Classic FM. It’s fantastic to see Capital Breakfast with Roman Kemp retain its position as No 1 commercial breakfast show in London for reach, whilst LBC leads the pack for hours and share with its unmissable coverage of an ever-changing news agenda. With our recent launch of Capital Breakfast nationwide and preparation for the roll-out of Heart Breakfast on June 3rd across the UK, it’s hugely encouraging to see strong performances to support pivotal moments in Global’s history. These figures from the Global portfolio signal our focus on reaching and engaging with listeners right across the UK. Congratulations again to an amazing team at Global.”