RAJAR - Global Leads The UK Commercial Radio Market Growing its Reach, Hours & Share, Quarter on Quarter and Year on Year07 February 2019 - Press release
GLOBAL LEADS THE UK COMMERCIAL RADIO MARKET GROWING ITS REACH, HOURS AND SHARE, BOTH QUARTER-ON-QUARTER AND YEAR-ON-YEAR, WITH 25.3M WEEKLY LISTENERS AND A 23.2% SHARE
GLOBAL AGAIN LEADS THE PACK WITH THE TOP THREE COMMERCIAL RADIO BRANDS IN THE UK: HEART, CAPITAL, SMOOTH
HEART CONTINUES ITS REIGN AS THE UK’S BIGGEST COMMERCIAL RADIO BRAND GROWING ITS REACH, HOURS AND SHARE. ADDING MORE THAN HALF A MILLION LISTENERS IN THE PAST YEAR
STILL BIGGER THAN RADIO 1
CAPITAL IS ONCE AGAIN THE UK’S NO.1 HIT MUSIC BRAND WITH 8.3M WEEKLY LISTENERS
SMOOTH ACHIEVES ITS HIGHEST EVER REACH WITH 5.8M WEEKLY LISTENERS, GROWING ITS REACH, HOURS AND SHARE
LBC CELEBRATES ITS HIGHEST EVER REACH IN ITS 46-YEAR HISTORY
LEADING BRITAIN’S CONVERSATION RISING TO MORE THAN 2.2M WEEKLY LISTENERS
RADIO X NOW REACHES 1.6M LISTENERS ACROSS THE UK.
CHRIS MOYLES ACHIEVES ANOTHER RECORD HIGH AT BREAKFAST WITH 991,000 LISTENERS AND 804,000 LISTENERS TUNING IN TO JOHNNY VAUGHAN AT DRIVE
CLASSIC FM IS THE NATION’S FAVOURITE CLASSICAL MUSIC STATION INCREASING TO 5.3M WEEKLY LISTENERS
CAPITAL XTRA REACHES 1.8M LISTENERS, ADDING JUST UNDER A QUARTER OF A MILLION LISTENERS IN THE PAST YEAR ALONE
THE OFFICIAL BIG TOP 40 IS THE UK’S BIGGEST CHART SHOW
REACHING MORE LISTENERS THAN ANY OTHER CHART SHOW IN THE UK AND BEATING RADIO 1 IN THE SAME TIME SLOT IN REACH, HOURS AND SHARE
GLOBAL WINS IN LONDON FOR COMMERCIAL REACH, HOURS AND SHARE:
CAPITAL IS LONDON’S NO.1 COMMERCIAL RADIO STATION FOR REACH, WITH 1.9M WEEKLY LISTENERS
LBC IS LONDON’S NO.1 COMMERCIAL RADIO STATION FOR HOURS & SHARE
GLOBAL ALSO WINS IN LONDON AT BREAKFAST:
CAPITAL BREAKFAST WITH ROMAN KEMP RETAINS ITS CROWN AS LONDON’S NO.1 COMMERCIAL BREAKFAST SHOW WITH 915,000 LISTENERS BEATING BOTH RADIO 1 AND KISS IN REACH
NICK FERRARI AT BREAKFAST IS AGAIN LONDON’S BIGGEST COMMERCIAL BREAKFAST SHOW FOR HOURS AND SHARE
- Global brands reach a massive 25.3 million people every week through radio alone, with hours at 234 million, taking a 23.2% market share.
- Heart continues to be the UK’s biggest commercial radio brand, growing its reach to 9.7m people every week and adding 565,000 listeners in the past year – once again beating Radio 1 nationally in overall reach.
- Capital is again the UK’s no.1 hit music brand with 8.3m weekly listeners.
- Capital is the number 1 commercial station in London for reach, with 1.9m weekly listeners.
- Capital Breakfast with Roman Kemp retains its crown as London’s no. 1 commercial breakfast show with 915,000 listeners - beating Radio 1 and Kiss in reach.
- LBC has achieved its highest ever reach in its 46-year history
- More than 2.2 million weekly listeners now tune in – an increase of 188,000 listeners in the past year.
- LBC is the number 1 commercial station in London for hours and share.
- LBC’s Nick Ferrari at Breakfast grows his national audience to his highest ever.
- In reach, share and hours, Nick Ferrari has grown both quarter-on-quarter and year-on-year, with 1.3m listeners now tuning in across the UK.
- In London, Nick Ferrari is once again the number one commercial breakfast show in hours and share.
The Smooth brand celebrates a double record:
- Its highest ever reach across the UK with 5.83m weekly listeners across the UK, up 382,000 listeners in the past year.
- Its highest ever share at 4.2%.
- Listening hours are also up to 43m, increasing quarter-on-quarter and year-on-year.
- Smooth London also celebrates the highest ever share in its history at 3%.
- Radio X now reaches 1.6m people across the UK every week.
- Radio X’s Chris Moyles achieves another record high at Breakfast, with 991,000 listeners, growing in reach, hours and share, both year-on-year and quarter-on-quarter.
- Johnny Vaughan scores another huge set of results with 804,000 listeners tuning in to Radio X at drive time.
- Capital XTRA now reaches 1.8m listeners, adding 233,000 listeners in the past year.
- Jez Welham surges forward on Capital XTRA at breakfast, adding just under 200,000 listeners across the UK in a year
- Classic FM remains the UK’s most popular classical music station with 5.3m listeners every week, an increase of 126,000 new listeners in the past 3 months.
- Gold adds 136,000 listeners in the past year with 1.3m people tuning in across the UK every week.
THE OFFICIAL BIG TOP 40
- The Official Big Top 40 is officially the UK’s biggest chart show with 2m weekly listeners, reaching more listeners than any other chart show in the UK and beating Radio 1 in the same time slot in reach, hours and share.
Ashley Tabor OBE, Founder & Executive President of Global, said: “We’ve had another superb set of scores right across the group. Global continues to grow its audience with 25.3 million people tuning in every week, one of our highest ever. We have the top three commercial radio brands nationally in Heart, Capital and Smooth and we’ve set a record high for both the Smooth and LBC networks across the UK.”
“We’ve also won commercial reach, plus hours and share at breakfast in London, with Roman Kemp on Capital and Nick Ferrari on LBC respectively, and seen trending growth at Radio X across the UK, particularly for Chris Moyles at breakfast who scores a record high.
These results are a testament to the dedication of all Globallers across our brands, and I want to thank all of them for their incredibly hard work. I know Richard Park has been looking at these numbers carefully and he’s very happy with them! He’s doing very well and we wish him a speedy recovery.”